Summer Reading
BOOK 1:
I normally read only 2 books every summer which is really good for me! They are usually fictional reads, but this summer I decided to read Preparation for Parenting and Preparation for the Toddler Years 5-15 months. I did a whole lot of reading while I was pregnant to help prepare myself for parenthood, but I didn't read these two books! My cousin Jill, who I look up to in every way possible, suggested these books to me at the beginning of my pregnancy. I knew that I had to read them because her parenting was so successful and her two children are all around the best children that I have ever met!! I didn't read the first Prep for Parenting book until now...a little late huh... I already had several of these books so I just read them instead! It is always great to get more than one opinion/insight though.... I am glad that I read the first book..Even though most of this book is about establishing routine, which I have already done, it gave me great insight about things that I didn't learn from my other books. There routine is feeding time, wake time, and nap time....and according to them don't get the last two out of order! We already do this little routine and was happy in knowing that it has been so successful for others! I know about all the different sleep stages that we go through, however one interesting thing I learned from the first book was that after putting Liv down for her nap she moves from an active sleep state to relaxed sleep in 30-45 minutes. In the next 30-45 minutes she moves from relaxed sleep back to active sleep. At the end of this cycle she may begin to stir and cry...which most of the time parents interpret this to mean naptime is over. Going to pick up the baby, they assume the crankiness is her natural way of waking up. But that is not the case! If the baby wakes up cranky or crying, she is most likely not getting enough sleep. Even though she may cry, she will more than likely go right back to sleep in 10 minutes for another 30-40 minutes! A happy baby is what you should hear when a good naptime is established! The easiest and best advice I have recieved is to love, rock, snuggle your baby, and then lay her down awake so she learns how to put herself back to sleep during her active sleep! It is so much easier on everyone!!!
BOOK 2:
Comments
Post a Comment